Designed for students who have already excelled in creative fields, this major allows you to more fully understand your industry by gaining business perspectives and a larger context of arts and media. You already have the passion, talent and commitment to the creative field, but this degree helps you build upon your capacity for problem solving, leadership and management. Learn to better promote and communicate your artistic vision, as well as to make more meaningful career decisions and excel professionally.
This degree is offered by AU Los Angeles.
AULA’s Applied Arts and Media major is especially for people with technical skills in art, design and media-focused fields such as makeup design, film editing, or set design, who want to more fully understand the context and business side of their industry.
In this program, you’ll view art from a historical and cultural perspective and explore how the use of art and media has evolved into a platform central to effective marketing and communication. You’ll gain crucial skills and problem solving strategies specific to the arts and media fields that will make you a more effective professional.
The BA in Applied Arts and Media is part of a suite of Applied Studies degrees, each of which provides an opportunity for students with technical, occupational, and other professional training to apply that learning toward the completion of an undergraduate degree that both embraces their technical background and integrates it as a part of an interdisciplinary curriculum. Students who have 27 or more units in one cohesive technical area (units that would not be transferable into our Liberal Studies degree) can transfer those units in as part of an Applied Studies major and then complete the degree program through professionally-focused learning. These degree programs give students the opportunity to connect their technical expertise to a liberal learning framework that will make them more effective as problem solvers and leaders in their fields.
The Applied Arts & Media major focuses on preparing students to use arts in today’s media-rich environment. It gives students the opportunity to engage in art and media-making while looking at these forms as practical professional skills. Students completing this degree have a historical perspective as well as employable skills within the arts and communications fields.
The length of time it will take a student to complete a degree depends upon (1) the number of credits transferred into the program and (2) the number of credit hours taken each term. Antioch University operates on the quarter system. There are ten weeks of classes each quarter followed by a three-week break while instructors review and evaluate students’ work.
In order to complete your degree, you will need to meet the learning goals and complete the curriculum specific to your major as well as certain undergraduate degree requirements. Applied Studies degree requirements include the following (earned through AULA enrollment and/or transfer):
- 180 quarter units to graduate
- 75 or more upper-division units (almost all of our courses are upper division)
- Foundational courses to establish context and familiarize you with the skills you’ll use as you progress academically
- Eight units of experiential, non-classroom learning such as internships, self-directed independent studies or prior learning, to associate academics with real-life applications
- Ten units of interdisciplinary, hybrid seminars focused on topics such as leadership, business communications, cultural contexts, justice and equity, or technology in society
- Nine units (or about three courses) directly related to your degree:
- Performance Art
- Art, Recycling, and Consumption
- Portfolio Development I
- Portfolio Development II
- Principles of Marketing
- Interpersonal Communications
- Social Media Marketing
- Participatory Media
For detailed curriculum and degree requirements, please visit the AULA catalog.
Students completing this degree demonstrate the ability to:
- Analyze arts and media as sites of representation across historical eras and cultural contexts
- Create art and media works that reflect their critical analytical abilities
- Articulate the way professionals’ use of art and media has evolved and impacts marketing and communications
|Quarter||International Application*||Priority Application**||Final Application***||Classes Begin|
|Summer 2018||April 23, 2018||April 23, 2018||May 18, 2018||July 2, 2018|
|Fall 2018||July 23, 2018||July 23, 2018||August 17, 2018||October 1, 2018|
How to Apply
There are two easy steps to apply:
- Complete the Online Application.
- Complete and submit the online application
- Submit the Application Fee $50.
- Note: The application fee is waived for anyone attending an information session.
- The application fee is also waived for all AULA alumni.
- Complete and submit the Admissions Dialogue.
- Request official transcripts from every accredited institution from which you have received units of academic credit. You must provide evidence that you have successfully completed 36 quarter units (24 semester units) or more of college-level learning including at least 27 quarter units in a cohesive area of study that can be applied to your major.
All materials are submitted to the Admissions Office. All application materials submitted become part of an applicant’s file and cannot be returned.
|Liberal Studies (BA)|
|Units per quarter||Cost|
|Full time (12-15 units)||$6,790|
|Half time (6-8 units)||$4,074|
|Less than half time||$679 per unit|
Please note: Additional fees for all Antioch University Los Angeles programs may include (but are not necessarily limited to) charges for materials, late registration, enrollment maintenance, parking, graduation, transcripts, tuition payment plan, late payments, late registration, and returned checks.
A majority of AULA students finance their education through some form of financial aid. You may not be sure which federal, state, public and private aid packages – such as loans, scholarships, and grants—are right for you. Our staff is here to help you, so you can focus on what’s most important: beginning your academic program at AULA. Returning to school is a big decision, but it doesn’t have to be a stressful one.
Community College Scholars Program
Special Scholarships exist for students scholarship opportunity for undergraduate students transferring from a community college with whom AULA has an articulation agreement. If granted a Community College Scholarship, Antioch will waive the tuition for your first 6 units, a savings of up to $4,000. You are eligible for this scholarship if you have earned a minimum 3.0 cumulative GPA and at least 24 transferable semester units at a qualifying community college.
Undergraduate New Student Orientation
New Student Orientation is scheduled every term. It’s a chance for students to visit campus, meet faculty, register for classes and get started on their educational journey. Upon acceptance into the program, students receive specific information for the New Student Orientation designed for them.
|BACHELOR'S DEGREE PROGRAMS|
|Summer Quarter 2018|
|TBD||AULA Library, 4th floor|
To RSVP for an orientation, admitted students should email:undergraduatestudies.aula@