Since 1983, the collaboration of the Waldorf and Elementary Teacher Certification faculty has provided a unique blend of essential Waldorf and progressive education courses and internship experiences leading to state certification. Students study Dewey as well as Steiner, learn Waldorf and public school methods in mathematics and reading, and intern in both a Waldorf and a public school.
This program is the only one of its kind in North America. The MEd in Elementary Education with NH Teacher Certification is a 44-credit on-campus, year-round program for those who want to teach in Waldorf charter schools and become certified public school teachers. At the end of the program, students are prepared to apply for NH Certification.
Our certification programs meet the requirements for New Hampshire Teacher Certification. Plus, New Hampshire participates in the National Association of State Directors of Teacher Education and Certification (NASDTEC) Interstate Agreement, established to encourage cooperation and facilitate mobility and licensing between states. Great news if you want to teach in another state!
Upon completion of this program, graduates obtain a 44 credit MEd with NH State Certification which includes the 28 credit, AWSNA-approved Waldorf Certificate.
This full-time program is for those who live in the New England area or are able to relocate within a commuting distance for the duration of the program. This program is just one semester longer than the standard MEd and includes a second internship at a public school.
- Summer I: 3 weeks — courses held in Wilton, NH – School dormitory/local rooms available (2018: Sunday July 8 through Saturday July 28, no classes July 14, 15, 21, 22)
- Fall I: 15 weeks — courses held Wednesday through Friday plus 5 Saturdays on campus in Keene, NH
- Spring I: 12 week internship (available nationwide – or worldwide)
- Summer II: 4 weeks — courses held in Wilton, NH (Waldorf Certificate Complete)
- Fall II: 15 weeks — courses meet the first Friday afternoon and Saturday of each month in Keene, NH plus online
- Spring II: 15 weeks — courses meet the first Friday afternoon and Saturday of each month in Keene, NH plus online. Public school internship Monday to Thursday.
To earn a MEd degree with both Waldorf Teaching Certification and New Hampshire Elementary Education Teaching Certification, you must meet the general education requirements and you must successfully complete a minimum of 44 credits distributed as follows:
Theoretical & Philosophical Foundations of Education
- Human Development
- Conceptual Development & Learning Theory
- Anthroposophy: Projective Geometry
- Evolving Consciousness 1
- Evolving Consciousness 2
- Foundations of Human Experience
Curriculum & Instruction
- Math Methods – Elementary
- Reading/Literacy Elementary
- Integrated Learning: Theory into Practice
- Waldorf Curriculum 1
- Waldorf Curriculum 2
- Clay Modeling
- Eurythmy 1
- Speech 1
- Speech 2
- Science Curriculum
- Waldorf Math and Language Arts
Educational & Social Policy
- Teaching Exceptional Children
- School Law
- Waldorf Administration
Plus non-credit required courses
- Oberufer Play
- Workshop in Middle School Drawing
- Sculptural Modeling
- Arts to Accompany Foundations
- Professional Seminar
Elementary Teaching Internships
- One semester of supervised teaching in an approved public school Elementary setting
- One semester of supervised teaching in a Waldorf School under an approved Waldorf teacher
For course descriptions, please see the current course catalog.