Geographic Information Systems (GIS) are increasingly used for policy-making, scientific, administrative, educational, and recreational purposes. As GIS has become a vital decision support tool, the national and international need for qualified professionals has grown at an unprecedented rate. Proficiency with spatial concepts and data is sought-after by employers and necessary for effective environmental and policy leadership. When you have GIS experience in one sector, you can practically work in any job requiring GIS skills because the methods of working with data will be the same.
This state-of-the-art technology requires a high demand of technical skills to effectively gather, analyze, and relay vital information. Help make a positive environmental impact by understanding unique patterns and relationships between multiple data points as they relate to cartography.
This certificate is offered by AU New England.
A certificate in Applied Spatial Analysis for Geographic Information Systems (GIS), will meet the demand for qualified GIS professionals in various fields ranging from conservation and environmental sciences, business administration, clinical psychology, sustainability, to advocacy and social justice, epidemiology, and education.
This 9-credit 1-year GIS Certificate is designed for graduate students, educators, and professionals working in various sectors. It focuses on developing the skills and knowledge needed to work in any field that involves GIS-related spatial analysis, including how to:
- Understand the basics of cartography and geographic information systems.
- Process spatial socio-economic and environmental data of various types and from various sources
- Design, give meaning to and interpret maps.
- Appropriately model landscape features and to analyze spatial relationships among them.
- Conduct applied research projects using geospatial technology tools.
- Model environmental and socio-economic risks, target locations for appropriate interventions.
- Develop familiarity with non-commercial spatial data mapping and analysis tools such as Quantum GIS, Google Earth, and Maps, ArcGIS Online, Mobile GIS, etc.
This certificate may be applied as credits towards the Master of Science degree in Environmental Studies or Resource Management & Administration at Antioch University New England.
AUNE’s certificate in Applied Spatial Analysis for Geographic Information Systems (GIS) can help you start or advance your career in:
- Cartography, surveying, engineering
- Urban and regional planning, public policy, social science
- Resource management, environmental science
The certificate can be completed within 32 weeks. Applied Spatial Analysis for GIS certificate face-to-face courses meet one day/week or as intensives.
Students complete three required courses in each of the following areas:
- Core Requirement – GIS: Introduction
- Conservation & Climate Science – GIS: Advanced
- Application – GIS: Applied
This 9-credit certificate is offered to matriculated and non-matriculated students. Matriculated students who fulfill the requirements of a certificate will earn a dual credential along with their Master of Science.