Add the Art Therapy concentration to your Couple and Family Therapy degree to expand upon your capabilities of improving the lives of others. By pairing comprehensive clinical training with a strong theoretical framework, you will be uniquely positioned to leverage art therapy in a clinical setting. Empower your therapy clients to express themselves verbally and through visual art in order to treat a multitude of developmental, emotional, psychological and medical problems or disorders.
This degree is offered by AU Seattle.
The MA in Marriage & Family Therapy degree has an Art Therapy specialization combined with Couple and Family Therapy (CFT). You receive comprehensive clinical training, making it one of the few degree programs in the U.S. featuring art therapy with a clinical focus.
Antioch University Seattle has held accreditation continuously since 1927. The Art Therapy specialization has been approved by the American Art Therapy Association (AATA) since 2003. Thus, the curriculum meets national standards for art therapy registration.
Antioch University Seattle’s Art Therapy specialization is combined with the MA in Psychology with Couple and Family Therapy (CFT) concentration. The degree offers you comprehensive clinical training for a career as a licensed marriage and family therapist. With a focus on developing multicultural counseling competencies, you accomplish these goals through a combination of required coursework, electives and a supervised internship.
The Art Therapy program is 90 quarter credits. To accommodate working adults, our schedule allows students to work during the day and take classes in the afternoons and evenings as well as all day on Friday. You may begin the program in either spring or fall.
Core Clinical Courses:
- Applied Couple Therapy
- Applied Family Therapy
- Communication and Counseling Skills
- Competency Assessment I
- Competency Assessment II
- Competency Assessment III
- Counseling Individuals in the Family System
- Ethics and Professional Issues
- Ethics in Family Practice
- Human Development in the Family Life Cycle
- Human Sexuality
- Internship Preparation
- Psychodiagnostics and Treatment Planning
- Systems Perspectives in Family Therapy
- Theories of Couple and Family Therapy
Core Art Therapy Courses:
- Advanced Art Therapy Assessment
- Advanced Art Therapy Research in Individual and Family Therapy
- Art Therapy in Diverse Settings: Individual and Group
- Art Therapy Master’s Project or Art Therapy Thesis
- Art Therapy Research in Individual and Family therapy
- Assessment: Tests and Measurements
- Developmental and Treatment Models in Art Therapy
- Ethical Issues in Art Therapy
- Family Group Art Therapy
- Family of Origin Systems and Art Therapy
- History and Theory of Art Therapy I
- History and Theory of Art Therapy II
- Mulitcultural Perspectives and Art Therapy
- Techniques and Practice of Art Therapy
One elective in counseling a culturally specific population OR one of the following:
- Abusive Relationships
- Addictions and Substance Abuse
- AT/CFT Internship I,II, III, IV, and V
- Case Consultation I, II, III, IV, and V
All students participate in an internship in a professional setting. This experience will enable you to validate and clarify the theory you acquire in the classroom as you develop your own role as a clinician. Examples of internship sites include the following:
- College counseling centers
- Community centers
- Group homes
- Homeless shelters
- In-patient psychiatric hospitals
- Public mental health clinics
- Youth and family services
Program requirements and course offerings are subject to change.
For detailed curriculum, degree requirements, and course descriptions, please visit the AUS catalog.
Art therapists work in private practice and/or in clinical, educational and rehabilitative settings such as:
- hospitals and clinics
- residential treatment centers
- long-term care facilities
- community centers
- mental health and social service agencies
|Cost per Credit||Full-Time Credits per Quarter||Full-Time Tuition and fees per Quarter*||Total Program Credits||Total Tuition
**This information is provided as an estimate of total tuition, at 2016-17 tuition rates, for each program based on the total number of required credits to complete the degree, and does not include the required Student Services and Technology fees.
Financial Aid is also available to most students.