The need for play therapists in therapeutic and educational settings is on the rise thanks to its substantial benefits. More specifically, the dynamic interpersonal relationships that are built allow persons of any age to fully express themselves.
Through self-exploration, imagination, and hypothetical circumstances, clients reveal deep psychological behaviors and feelings. Self-expression through this technique will help you build substantial accord with your clients and open the door to profound realizations.
This certificate is offered by AU Seattle.
Play therapy has been demonstrated to be one of the most effective therapies for children and families needing support and skills to process their life events in a safe, structured and healthy environment. Antioch University recognizes the increasing demand for play therapists in therapeutic and educational settings. Our program will provide you with the experience and skills you need for a successful career in this growing field. Association for Play Therapy (APT) accredited.
Approximately one year/18 credits (note: 1 credit hour at a university is equal to 1.5 credit hours in outside play therapy events)
3 weekends per quarter
*Post graduate practicum supervisor is also available upon completion of certificate
**Registered Play Therapist supervised hours must be completed after you receive your MA
|On Campus Courses|
|COUC5640: Seminar in Play Therapy II: Filial Therapy||Saturdays, 9 am-4 pm, 1/19, 2/16, 3/16
Sundays, 9 am-1 pm, 1/20, 2/17, 3/17
|COUC5600-2: Introduction to Play Therapy||Saturdays, 9 am-4 pm, 4/13, 5/11, 6/8
Sundays, 9 am-1 pm, 4/14, 5/12, 6/9
|COUC5600-1: Introduction to Play Therapy||Saturdays, 9 am-4 pm, 4/13, 5/11, 6/8
Sundays, 9 am-1 pm, 4/14, 5/12, 6/9
|COUC5610: Advanced Play Therapy||Saturdays, 9 am-4 pm,
Sundays, 9 am-1 pm, 7/14, 8/11, 9/8
|COUC5630: Seminar in Play Therapy I||Saturdays, 9 am-4 pm, 10/12, 11/9, 12/7
Sundays, 9 am-1 pm, 10/13, 11/10, 12/8.
|COUC5640: Seminar in Play Therapy II||Saturdays, 9 am-4 pm, 1/18, 2/15, 3/14*
Sundays, 9 am-1 pm, 1/19, 2/16, 3/15*
* Dates subject to change please refer to course syllabus
Antioch University’s program has been developed to meet the majority of academic requirements necessary to achieve a registered Play Therapist designation through the Association for Play Therapy upon completion of your respective Washington state License of LMFT or LMHC. It is recommended that students seek out additional experiences (e.g., play therapy conferences, Washington Association for Play Therapy (WAPT) meetings, etc.) for play therapy education in order to satisfy all requirements for the RPT designation.
Answers to our frequently asked questions are available here.
Statements from students and graduates of our play therapy certificate program are available here.
- Must be enrolled in or have completed an MA program that leads to licensure in the mental health field
- Applicant must provide an MA transcript
- If already licensed, applicant must provide a copy of their license
- A statement of purpose is also required that answers the following: How do you envision play therapy integrating with your current or future professional practice?
How to apply
Complete the online admissions application.
- A Master’s degree from a regionally accredited institution is required. Submit an official copy of Master’s degree transcript or current program showing enrollment in MA program leading to Licensure in the field. Transcript evaluations are required for all coursework completed outside of the U.S. or Canada (except Quebec). See Transcript Evaluation section on International Students webpage for details.
- If already licensed, submit a copy of your license.
- Admissions essay. Submit a typewritten, double-spaced, one to two-page (between 250 and 500 words) response to the following question: How do you envision play therapy integrating with your current or future professional practice?
- All supporting materials, transcripts, essays, etcetera, should be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org or mailed by the below deadline to:Admissions Office
Antioch University Seattle
2400 3rd Avenue, Suite 200
Seattle, WA 98121
Currently enrolled Antioch University students
- Complete the Play Therapy Application Form for current students and submit to the Integrated Student Services office.
|Quarter||Complete Admission File Deadline||Classes begin|
|Spring 2019||*March 1, 2019||April 1, 2019|
|* Complete admission files (all required documents) received after the Deadline date may be considered if space is still available in that quarter.|
- Students currently enrolled in a graduate program at AUS: $702 per credit
- Alumni of the Applied Psychology program at AUS: $3,000 for the certificate program
- Other applicants: $4,000 for the certificate program