Christie E. Kaaland
Core Faculty, School of Education
Christie Kaaland taught junior and senior high English and drama for 17 years and 11 years in an elementary librarian in Tacoma School District before joining AUS. It was while working in the school library program and serving on the executive board of WLMA, that Kaaland first became interested in developing a school library program at Antioch.
Currently, Kaaland, working in collaboration with Deb Kachel and Deb Levitov has begun a school library advocacy site and a blog to help promote the importance of the school library’s role in providing equitable access to information and resources for all children, and for providing information and promotion of state and national legislative reform related to school libraries.
- BA, English and Education, Pacific Lutheran University, Tacoma, WA
- MA, Educational Administration, University of Washington
- EdD, Curriculum and Instruction, University of Washington
- Emergency Preparedness and Disaster Recovery in the School Library: Creating a Safe Haven, ABC-CLIO, Libraries Unlimited, 2015.
- Lead author, Activism and the School Librarian: Tools for Advocacy and Survival. ABC-CLIO Publishers, 2012.
- “WSLLIT, The Backstory: How School Library Impact Studies Happen.” Teacher Librarian, October 2015.
- “Promoting Diverse Literature in School Libraries.” School Library Connection. Sept. 2015.
- “Literary Conversations: Teens and Authors.” School Library Monthly. Jan. 2013.
- “Developing a District-Wide School Library Advocacy Plan: Part 2: Visibility and Vigilance.” School Library Monthly. Jan. 2012; Part 1 Dec, 2011.
- “School Library Language for Legislators.” School Library Monthly. March, 2011.
- "Proactive Advocacy: Emergency Preparedness for the School Library.” School Library Monthly. Jan. 2011.
- Horace Mann Award, 2008
- Institute of Museum and Library Services, Laura Bush grant for $1 million for scholarships for library students 2007
- Golden Acorn Award, Browns Point, 1999, in recognition of community service
- Washington Library Association, executive board member and legislative advocate
- American Association of School Librarians
“The students at Antioch are a gift from whom I constantly receive joy, wisdom and enlightenment.”