Farouk Y. Seif
Professor Emeritus, Graduate Programs in Leadership and Change
Faculty Phone: 360-376-4747 iPhone: 425-754-2308EMAIL
Farouk Seif is a registered architect, artist and design consultant who has taught design, creative thinking and visual communication in several universities in the United States and abroad and has published, lectured and exhibited his artwork internationally. He is founder and director of Isis Institute and originator and organizer of the Intercultural Study Program “Journey into the Dawn of Time” in Egypt.
His doctoral dissertation, “Semiotics and Urban Morphogenesis,” is an interdisciplinary inquiry designed to reinterpret the ancient Egyptian experience for thoughtful reflections on modernity. His interests center around social/cultural transformation, metaphysics of design, wholeness, semiotics and design communication.
- BArch, Helwan University, Cairo, Egypt
- MArch, Kent State University, Kent, Ohio
- PhD, University of Washington, Seattle, Washington
- “Paradoxes and Perseverance: Designing Through Antinomies of Life.” In Semiotics 2014: The Semiotics of Paradox, Yearbook of the Semiotic Society of America, 2014.
- “The Eternal Masquerade: Conflict, Change, and Continuity.” In Semiotics 2013, Yearbook of the Semiotic Society of America, 2013.
- “Dialogue with Kishtta: A Semiotic Revelation of the Paradox of Life and Death.” In The American Journal of Semiotics, 29. 1– 4, 2013.
- “Semiotic Paradox of the New Media: Experiencing Visceral Reality in a Transmodern World.” In Semiotics 2012, Semiotics of New Media, Yearbook of the Semiotic Society of America, 2012.
- “Navigating Through Diaphanous Space and Polychronic Time.” In Global Semiotics: Bridging Different Civilizations, Proceedings of the 11th World Congress of the International Association for Semiotic Studies, China, 2012.
- “The Pathless Journey of Beauty: Experiencing the Sublime Through the Enchantment of Eros.” In The Phenomenon of Beauty in Culture (Grožio fenomenas kultūroje). Lithuania, 2012.
- “From the Absolute to Metamorphoses: Egypt at the Epicenter of Transmodernity.” In: Semiotics 2011: The Semiotics of Worldviews, Proceedings of the 36th annual meeting of the Semiotic Society of America, Pittsburgh, 2011.
- “Mutual Mimesis of Nature and Culture: A Representational Perspective for Eco-Cultural Metamorphosis.” In Sign Systems Studies, Special Issue: Semiotics of Resemblance, Estonia, 2010.
- “Between Technology and Teleology: Can the Digital Age Embrace the Analog Experience of Culture?” In Transforming Culture in the Digital Age, 2010
- “Communication in the Age of the Great Turning: Understanding the Role of Analog and Digital Modes in Liberating Imagination.” Proceedings of the 9th World Congress of the International Association for Semiotic Studies -Association Internationale de Sémiotique (IASS/AIS), Helsinki-Imatra, Finland June 2009. Download a PDF here.
- “Eros of ‘Leader-fullness’: The Seductive Nature of Leadership and Global Reality.” Proceedings of the International Conference: L3 Global Leadership, Shanghai, China, April 2006. Download a PDF here.
- “Social Change in The ‘Aperspectival World’: The Paradox of Social Reproduction and Cultural Innovation.” International Conference Innovation and Reproduction in Cultures and Societies (IRICS), Proceedings of the 9th World Congress of the International Association for Semiotic Studies -Association Internationale de Sémiotique (IASS/AIS), Vienna, Austria, December 2005. Download a PDF here.
- Visiting Faculty, Organization Systems Renewal, Seattle University and Fielding Graduate University
- Executive Director of the Semiotic Society of America
- Member of the International Association for Semiotic Studies
- International Society for Systems Sciences
- American Institute of Architects
- Registered Architect, Texas
“Not only is Antioch a true learning community, it’s also a place for a remarkable personal and professional transformation.”