The impacts from a changing climate are visible and increasing. Build your skills, knowledge, and networks to take effective action. The Climate Resilience Certificate prepares professionals to incorporate resilience strategies into planning, implementation, and evaluation within any domain of resource management, community engagement, and environmental protection.
This certificate is offered by AU New England.
This 9-credit certificate is designed to meet the needs of busy, working professionals.
- Courses are taught online so you may complete weekly assignments on your own schedule.
- You can start the program in any semester – Spring, Summer, or Fall.
- The 1-credit courses can be taken in any order.
- The certificate may be completed on a part-time basis.
- Complete a capstone project of your choice. The capstone could be directly relevant to your agency, community, business, or organization.
After successfully completing this certificate, you will be able to:
- Clearly communicate an understanding of current approaches to both mitigation and adaptation, at various scales of implementation.
- Effectively demonstrate an understanding of the interrelation amongst climate change, and water, food, and energy security.
- Provide evidence of the ability to structure a vulnerability analysis.
- Articulate preferred adaptation strategies for identified vulnerabilities.
- Demonstrate how to judge the effectiveness of a message generated by either the scientific community or the media that targets decision-makers and the public about the risks associated with climate change.
- Analyze the effectiveness of a stakeholder engagement process designed to have decision-makers respond to a specific vulnerability.
The Climate Resilience Certificate is geared toward individuals working on the ground in resource management, hazard mitigation, community planning, business, and organizational operations, as well as other professionals seeking to strengthen their knowledge of “how-to” implement climate resilience.
At the conclusion of the certificate, participants will leave with specific knowledge and hands-on strategies to implement in their job and their communities.
This certificate is generally completed in two to three semesters (less than a year). Complete it in a shorter or longer period of time with a schedule that works for you. Each four-week course is designed to stand alone, and so you may take courses in any order. These online courses can be completed in approximately 8 hours per week.
- Climate Change: The Science, Uncertainty, and Risk (1-credit, 4-weeks, online)
- Climate Impacts: Vulnerability and Adaptation Planning (1-credit, 4-weeks, online)
- Climate Impacts: Communication, Facilitation, and Stakeholder (1-credit, 4-weeks, online)
- Business Resilience and Continuity (1-credit, 4-weeks, online)
- Climate Justice and Equitable Adaptation (1-credit, 4-weeks, online)
- Climate Response: Costs and Financing (1-credit, 4-weeks, online)
- Climate Resilience Certificate for Professionals: Capstone Project (3 credits)
- Policy Advocacy: Climate Change (1-credit)
Want to try one course? Enroll here
NOTE: We are currently seeking approval for this certificate to be eligible for federal student loans; please check with Financial Aid for updates.