Celebrate Your Individuality.
Earn your MA in Individualized Studies in less than 24 months online.
You are unique. It’s time to design a degree program that’s as special as you are.
Our MA in Individualized Studies helps you achieve your specific academic goals within the context of a Master of Arts program at an award-winning private university embracing individuality and diversity.
Create a unique program that redefines the single disciplinary approach of conventional education. You’ll learn in a 100% online learning environment that encourages individualism and inclusion, and you can earn your Master of Arts in one of several specializations in as little as 24 months (or less).
This is an MA on your terms, tailored to your specific academic interests and personal objectives — it is a program you won’t find anywhere else because you created it.
This degree is offered by Antioch University Online
Education on your terms. Antioch’s MA in Individualized Studies (IMA) offers you space to personalize your curriculum, so that you graduate with the education you want and need.
- Design your degree from scratch. Combine existing grad courses. Study a specific interest or multidisciplinary issue. Build your MA the way you want it.
- More room to grow. Big lessons. Little class sizes. Flourish in small-scale learning environments with limitless possibilities. This is not a classroom. This is a community.
- School for all seasons. Start your MA in spring, summer, or fall. Seven-week courses that accommodate your schedule, offered fully online.
- Self-directed learning in a supportive online community of faculty and other students
- 36 credits; transfer up to 15 credits!
Select a core concentration as a foundation for your degree.
Develop an individualized curriculum that meets the academic and professional standards for graduate education in your discipline or field of study. The individualized curriculum is developed in a collaborative partnership among you, your Faculty Advisor, your Concentration Mentor, and the instructors. Together we are responsible for certifying that the curriculum complies with graduate-level learning requirements and the professional criteria in the field of study.
Design a degree program to address a particular intellectual interest or study a multidisciplinary issue by combining existing courses from graduate areas of the university after building an understanding of the humanities through three foundation courses: Foundations of the Humanities, Humanities Research Methods, and Individualized Study in the Humanities.
Choose your focus: Creative Writing, Cultural and Religious Studies, or Art and Letters.
Design a degree program to address a particular intellectual interest or study a multidisciplinary issue by combining existing courses from graduate areas of the university after building an understanding of the social sciences through three foundation courses: Foundations of the Social Sciences, Social Research Methods, and Individualized Study in the Social Sciences.
Choose your focus: Educational Studies and Human Development, Conflict Resolution, or Management of Human and Natural Systems.
Centered on the understanding that we have the capacity to author our own lives from a place of resourcefulness, creativity, and possibility – the Transformative Learning Communities concentration within Social Sciences offers the opportunity for learning in community, acknowledging a tension between two learning paradigms: self-authored and nested in an intentional transformative learning community. You can experience inquiry-based learning within the power of conversation and connection with your mentors and community.
- Complete the Online Application (No Application fee!)
- Bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited college or university or an institution recognized by regional accreditation. Official transcripts of all academic work.
- Exceptions may be reviewed on a case-by-case basis using faculty’s professional judgment such as cases of international degree. Antioch Online will accept degrees earned under the terms of the Bologna Declaration.
- Two current professional references
- Admissions Essay:
Please provide a statement in 500 words or less as to why you would like to do an Individualized program, what you intend to accomplish in the program, and what qualifications you bring to accomplish that
- No GMAT or GRE required
- Additional requirement for international students:
- Reading & Writing in English Proficiency Assessment (if applicable) or TOEFL score of 550 “paper-based”, 214 “computer-based”, and 79 “internet-based or higher.
Students in this program participate in online learning activities organized within small- and large-group learning communities. Antioch University Online is a 100% online learning environment, and therefore, in addition to having the traditional learning skills, students are expected to have basic technological skills, compatible computer hardware, operating system, and internet connectivity upon entrance into the program.
Graduate Degree Tuition
This program costs $676 per semester hour plus a $75/semester student services fee.
Many AU students finance their education through some form of financial aid. You may not be sure which federal, state, public, and private aid packages – such as loans, scholarships, and grants – are right for you. Our staff is here to help you, so you can focus on what’s most important: beginning your academic program at AU.
Cool Course: Educating Black Girls to Thrive
by Jasper Nighthawk on April 20, 2021
Empowering a Sisterhood of Black and Brown Girls for Authentic Leadership
by Antoinette Wiley on January 8, 2021
Urban League Los Angeles and Antioch University Partner To Provide Mentorship and Scholarships
by Karen Hamilton on September 22, 2020