Ph.D. 2006 August Georgia State University (Early Childhood Education)
M.Ed. 1998 August Georgia State University (Science Education)
M.A. 1995 May Northern Illinois University (Biological Anthropology)
B.A. 1991 May Augustana College (Biology/Environmental Studies)
Sarah M. Bexell, PhD is the Director of Humane Education with the Institute for Human-Animal Connection and Clinical Associate Professor with the Graduate School of Social Work, both at the University of Denver, Denver, Colorado, USA. Bexell is also an adjunct faculty member teaching Animal Protection for the Institute for Humane Education-Antioch University New England and Senior Advisor to the Education Department of the Chengdu Research Base for Giant Pandas, China. She teaches and does research in the areas of environmental and social regeneration and justice and animal protection.
Bexell, S. M., Lantzy, M., Senecal, J. E., Buckman, A., MacInnis, E., & Lee, H. (2020). State of humane education in the United States: 2018-2019. International Journal of Humane Education (1)1, 120-160.
Clayton, S., Bexell, S. M., Xu, P., Tang, Y. F., Li, W. J., & Chen, L. (2019). Environmental literacy and nature experience in Chengdu, China. Environmental Education Research. DOI: 10.1080/13504622.2019.1569207
Bexell, S. M., Decker-Sparks, J. D., Tejada, J. & Rechkemmer, A. (2018). An analysis of inclusion gaps in sustainable development themes: Findings in recent social work research. International Social Work 00(0) 1-13.
Clayton, S., Bexell, S.M., Xu P., Zhang, Z.H., Li, W. J., Chen, H. W., & Hu, Y. (2018). Confronting the wildlife trade through public education at zoological institutions in Chengdu, China. Zoo Biology 37(2) 119-129.
Des Marais, E., Bexell, S.M. & Bhadra, S. (2015). Reflexive development: A model for helping social workers contribute to a sustainable global future. Social Work Education: The International Journal. DOI: 10.1080/02615479.2015.1074674
Des Marais, E., Bexell, S.M. & Bhadra, S. (2015). Transcending national boundaries through reflexive development. Social Dialog (11)3: 44-45.
Bexell, S.M., Jarrett, O. S., & Xu, P. (2013). The effects of a summer camp program in China on children’s knowledge, attitudes and behaviors toward animals: a model for conservation education. Visitor Studies (16)1: 59-81.
Freeman, C.P., Bekoff, M., & Bexell, S.M. (2011) Giving voice to the voiceless: incorporating nonhuman animal perspectives as journalistic sources. Journalism Studies 11:1-18.
• Macro Social Work Theory and Skills, Spring 2020
• Social-Ecological Resilience and One Health: Connecting Human and Environmental Health, Fall 2018, 2019, 2020
• Social and Environmental Impact Assessment (University of Denver) Fall 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020
• International Social Development (University of Denver) Winter 2012, 2013; Spring 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019
• Global Cultural Perspectives (University of Denver) Spring 2014; Winter & Spring 2015, 2016; Winter 2017; Winter & Spring 2018; Winter & Spring 2019; Winter 2020
• Just Sustainabilities: Local and Global Interconnections (with Dr. Pranietha Mudliar) (University of Denver) Spring 2018
• Animal Assisted Social Work 3 (University of Denver) Spring 2015, 2016, 2019; Winter 2020
• Contemporary Issues in Western Colorado: Environmental Justice (University of Denver) Winter 2017
• Animal Assisted Social Work 1 (University of Denver) Fall 2013 & 2014
• Animal Protection (Valparaiso/Antioch University-Institute for Humane Education) Summer, Fall 2018, Spring 2019, Fall 2019; Spring 2020, Summer 2020
• Environmental Ethics (Antioch University New England-Institute for Humane Education) Spring 2020, Summer 2020
• Introduction to Humane Education (University of Denver, professional development) Fall 2016, 2017
• Protection Issues for Humans, Other Animals and the Environment (University of Denver, professional development) Winter 2017; 2018
• Program Planning and Modeling in Humane Education (University of Denver, professional development) Spring 2017; 2018
• Sustainable Development and Global Practice (Sichuan University) Summer 2016
• Global Policy and Practice for Sustainable Development (University of Denver) Winter 2018
• Conservation Social Work in China Internship (University of Denver) Summers 2010 – 2018
• Conservation Social Work in Kenya (University of Denver) Fall 2014; Fall 2015
• Biology: Life Science Concepts for Teachers (University of Northern Colorado) Spring 2014
• Wildlife Crime: Drivers, Solutions and a Call to Action (Continuing Education) (with Dr. Marc Bekoff) (University of Denver) Spring 2014
• Independent Study in Just Sustainabilities (University of Denver) Spring 2019
• Independent Study in Global Intersections of Human and Other-Animal Welfare (University of Denver) Fall 2013
• Humane Education Internship Supervisor (University of Denver) 2013-2014
• Independent Study in Humane Education or Animal Studies (University of Denver) Spring 2013; Summer 2013; Spring 2014; Fall 2018
• Animal Behavior (Continuing Education) (University of Denver) Spring 2011
• Animal Protection & the Environment (Humane Society University) Fall 2010–2012, Winter & Fall 2014
• Humane Education (Humane Society University) Winter 2010; Fall 2010; Fall 2012
• Biodiversity Conservation (Sichuan University, China) Fall 2007; Spring 2008
Necessary cookies are absolutely essential for the website to function properly. This category only includes cookies that ensures basic functionalities and security features of the website. These cookies do not store any personal information.
Any cookies that may not be particularly necessary for the website to function and is used specifically to collect user personal data via analytics, ads, other embedded contents are termed as non-necessary cookies. It is mandatory to procure user consent prior to running these cookies on your website.