Do you want to make your organization more effective, efficient, and sustainable? Our MBA in Sustainability will teach you the business and leadership skills needed to manage complex and changing organizational environments. Achieve your economic objectives while addressing the needs of the employees, communities and the environment.
AU New England is no longer accepting applications for the MBA. Please check back soon for a re-imagined MBA.
Businesses are increasingly aware of their ecological and social impact. They want managers and leaders who can effectively and strategically plan and implement initiatives that balance economic, environmental, and human sustainability, without compromising communities or the planet for future generations. As a graduate of our program, you’ll be prepared to navigate the dynamics of sustainability at the team, organizational, regional, and global levels.
Since 2007, our “Green MBA” has offered a fully integrated curriculum. Competency in sustainability methods, systems thinking, leadership, and collaboration is developed throughout the program.
An MBA for working adults
Our two-year, weekend program is structured to balance rigorous study with busy professional and personal schedules. On-site classes are scheduled four weekends per semester, with online and group coursework between meetings.
The Antioch difference
Hands-on application of business skills is central to the MBA in Sustainability curriculum. You won’t find lecture halls and written tests here. Student projects are focused on real-world challenges. Classwork includes consulting projects to help local, regional, and national businesses solve sustainability challenges and present finding and recommendations to clients. Students participate in local and regional field experiences to observe and network with leading sustainable businesses and nonprofits to test theoretical understanding.
At Antioch, you’ll join an active and supportive learning community of faculty members, other MBA students, and alumni who stay connected after graduation, sharing their expertise and stories from the field, while helping students build stronger professional networks.
AUNE’s experience-based MBA in Sustainability enables students to implement an integrated approach to sustainability so that organizations, communities, and the earth we share thrive now and into the future. Students develop competence in the three interrelated core areas:
Our 36-credit MBA in Sustainability is a 2-year weekend program.
Students develop competency in three interrelated core areas: sustainability & systems thinking, business fundamentals, and leadership & change. Courses are intentionally designed, sequenced and delivered across an integrated curriculum.
- Sustainability & Systems Thinking:
- Principles of Sustainable Systems
- Earth Systems & Climate Change
- Ecological Economics, Public Policy & Social Change
- Business Fundamentals:
- Financial Management Fundamentals
- Sustainable Finance for Positive Impact
- Operations & Value Chain Management
- Marketing & Communication Strategy
- Leadership & Change:
- Teamwork & Diversity
- Developing People & Performance
- Leadership, Ethics & Change
- Capstone Courses:
- Strategy, Innovation & Resilience
Students who complete this program pursue careers in a variety of fields, including consulting, manufacturing, social services, finance, renewable energy, agriculture, government, and healthcare.
Career options associated with an MBA in sustainability include sustainability consulting and auditing, environmental management, marketing, leadership and management, CSR reporting, socially responsible investing (SRI), community and economic development finance, project management, risk management, and more. Our graduates have gone on to become executive directors, entrepreneurs, consultants, educators, facilities directors, marketing directors, sustainable investment analysts, technical advisors, and more.
The MBA in Sustainability has established learning outcomes that outline the goals of our program. As a graduate of our program you can expect to have competency in the following areas:
- Evaluate, synthesize and apply the foundational concepts of the evolving sustainability paradigm.
- Implement integrated strategies to strengthen the financial sustainability of organizations.
- In collaboration with others, develop an organizational culture and implement practices that support both human well-being and successful performance at individual, team, unit, and organizational levels.
- Advocate for wise use of earth resources and develop organizational strategies that balance the needs of ecological, economic, and social systems on a local and global scale.
- Develop and master analytical, strategic, and collaborative decision-making skills in order to successfully communicate sustainability within multiple systems.
- Develop interpersonal and intrapersonal skills to become a more effective, resilient, self-aware leader.
- Apply change theory and leadership theory in guiding organizations towards a sustainable multiple bottom line.
- Synthesize and apply knowledge, metrics, and skills to promote sustainability systems.
AU New England is no longer accepting applications for the Fall 2018 cohort. Please check back in Spring 2019 for a re-imagined MBA.
A college education is an investment in your future. Let us help you understand the costs and explore the resources available to help make your college education even more affordable. The majority of AUNE students finance their education through some form of financial aid. You may not be sure which federal, state, public and private aid packages – such as loans, scholarships, and grants—are right for you. Our staff is here to help you, so you can focus on what’s most important: beginning your academic program at AUNE.