Antioch University Santa Barbara has served the Santa Barbara area since 1977, and has more than 4,500 alumni. Antioch University is a cohesive university system and as a whole serves more than 5,000 current students from across the country, online, and at its five campuses in four states (Santa Barbara, Los Angeles, Seattle, and New Hampshire) and has more than 30,000 alumni.
Antioch University Santa Barbara prepares our students for professional success and service to their communities. To further these goals, Antioch’s academic experience and curriculum focus on developing critical thinking, leadership, and an expansive worldview as the foundation for teaching and learning in all disciplinary fields of study. Our faculty, administrators, and staff strive to model and to nurture academic excellence and personal integrity based upon the basic values of ethical behavior, intellectual honesty, and tolerance for the beliefs, ideas, and cultural experiences of others.
Antioch University is organized and operated exclusively as a non-profit public benefit corporation and is not organized for the private gain of any purpose; it is exempt from income tax under the provisions of Section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code.
Antioch University Santa Barbara is a private, non-profit institution accredited by Higher Learning Commission. We’re proud to have had continuous accreditation by the Higher Learning Commission since 1927 and our accreditation is secure for the future.
Hispanic Service Institution
Antioch University Santa Barbara has received Federal designation as a Hispanic Serving Institution under Titles III & V of the Higher Education Act.
- AUSB’s classes are small with no more than 25 students in each class.
- Ages: 19-68
- Undergraduate: About 45%
- Graduate: About 55%
As part of our unique experiential education, students in all programs are required to spend time in the community, and on average spend one year in community service. AUSB places students in over 100 social services and education sites in Santa Barbara County.
- Founded in Ohio in 1852 by Horace Mann, who served as its first president, Antioch’s unique learning model blended practical work experience with classroom learning.
- Antioch was the first college in the United States to grant a tenured professorship to a woman and the first college to offer the same curriculum to male and female students.
- Antioch was one of the first historically all-white colleges to eliminate race as an admission requirement and to actively recruit African American students.
- In 1977, the Santa Barbara campus was founded as Antioch University Southern California, a satellite of the Los Angeles campus.
- The Santa Barbara campus became Antioch University Santa Barbara (AUSB) in 2007, no longer a satellite of the Los Angeles campus.
- USA Today has recognized Antioch University as one of the top 20 colleges most committed to community service: “With five campuses spread across the United States, Antioch University… provides participants with projects in the local community, around the country, and throughout the world.”
Explore our academic programs and educational certificates
Bachelor’s Degree Completion:
- BA in Applied Arts & Media
- BA in Applied Studies
- BS in Applied Technology & Business Leadership
- BA in Management
- BA in Psychology
- BA in Liberal Studies
We’re here to support you throughout your time at AU Santa Barbara and beyond. You’ll be assigned an advisor committed to empowering you to complete your degree and succeed in your coursework. One of the hallmarks of Antioch University is how committed we are to individual attention for every single student. Contact admissions today.
Let us evaluate your transcripts before you apply. It’s easy: Upload your transcripts and an advisor will tell you where you stand and how long it will take to graduate. No strings attached, so go for it.
Antioch is committed to reducing the cost and time it takes to earn your bachelor’s degree. We accept a minimum of 24 and a maximum of 80 semester credits for our undergraduate degrees, and depending on your program, we’ll even evaluate your work-life experience to apply toward the minimum. Transfer of graduate program credits will be considered post-admission to AU Online graduate programs. Learn more about transferring today.
Life-Work Experience Credit
You’ve worked hard for the experience you already have, so leverage it by asking AU Admissions advisors about life-work experience credit. In some cases, your technical training, military experience, or work experience can be applied toward your transfer credit minimum. We want to help you re-enter college and finish your degree as quickly, easily and successfully as possible. Contact Admissions for more details today.
Antioch University’s learning philosophy has always been based on individual evaluation and synthesis of what you’ve learned into demonstrated knowledge. At AU, we use narrative assessment, rather than letter grades, to provide meaningful, actionable evaluation of what you’ve learned. Letter grade equivalencies for graduate school applications or employer tuition reimbursement are available upon request.
Our “no tests, no grades” philosophy appeals to some and differs from tradition for others, but we believe it accommodates people with different learning styles and better prepares you for a career in professional settings where success is often measured by presentations and written communication. AUSB coursework values demonstrated learning over test scores, further preparing you for a successful career ahead.
Tuition & Financial Aid
Financial Aid & Scholarships
Financing an education is a priority for every student and we’re here to help. AUM financial aid advisors will guide you through options such as federal and state grants, federal loans, alternative loans, veterans’ tuition discounts and the Yellow Ribbon Program, and more. Learn more about types of financial aid.
Antioch University is deeply grateful to those who have served our country. We welcome prior, reserve, and active military-connected students and their families to our campuses and AU Online. Reduce the cost and time it takes to earn your degree by leveraging benefits available to you, including tuition discounts and the Yellow Ribbon Program. Talk to an admissions advisor today.
Antioch University’s student services are flexible and individualized. Explore our current student resources to get an idea of how we support students throughout their time at AUSB and beyond.
- Disability Support Services – To request assistance or learn more, your first step is to contact our Disability Support Services office. We work with you to assess reasonable accommodation so that your learning experience is optimal.
- Antioch University Bookstore – Discounted pricing, fast shipping, and free shipping for orders of $50 or more.
- Library Services – AUSB uses We Deliver to make library materials available to you from the largest library catalogs in the world. Electronic material is sent to your Antioch Gmail account, and books are mailed either directly to a location of your choice, or held for pick up at the campus library — your choice. Learn more about library services.
- Virtual Writing Center – Knowing how critical good writing is to your success at AUM, in the workplace and in life in general, offer writing support services from start to finish. AU writing tutors are available to help you with academic writing to succeed in your coursework.
Get to Know Antioch University
Antioch University’s history began in 1852 when our first campus opened in Ohio, USA. Founder Horace Mann had a vision that a well-educated populace was essential to a strong democracy, and that education should be accessible to all people. Since then Antioch University’s programs have been built on a foundation of social, economic, and environmental justice. Get to know why Antioch University stands out as a leader in progressive education.
Is Antioch University accredited? Yes. Antioch University is a non-profit, private institution accredited by the Higher Learning Commission.
We’re here to help.
Not sure where to start or which program is the best choice for your goals? Connect with Admissions! Our advisors are happy to help you through the process. Call (805) 962-8179 ext. 5301 or send an email to admissions.aus[email protected].