Trauma occurs every day and in every person’s life. However, those with less resiliency, fewer resources, a past of adverse experience, or who are in the beginning stages of development, are more debilitated by traumatic experiences and are highly susceptible to traumatic disorders. A person that suffers from a trauma disorder carries that disorder everywhere; there is no discarding it at the door of a church, a playground, a babysitter’s, or a school. When children with traumatic disorders are in school, they are surrounded by triggers (any sensory event that may remind the person’s brain or body of a past traumatic experience) and may become reactive or dissociative in response to a trigger.
While not every student comes in contact with a mental health professional, nearly every child in America comes in contact with a teacher and educational professionals. When educators have learned to recognize signs of developmental trauma, and how to respond, more children are served, and it is more possible to provide a solid education.
This online certificate is offered by AU New England
This four-course online, asynchronous certificate examines trauma in the context of the learning environment. These courses are introductory in nature thus, the approach is to understand broad issues related to trauma-informed education rather than a deep, detailed examination of this important field. The certificate program is intended for individuals who seek a basic understanding of how to best support and work with children affected by trauma.
The first course, Becoming a Trauma-Informed Educator, focuses on recognizing the behaviors associated with childhood trauma and offers strategies for practitioners to use. The developmental effects of trauma and the ramifications of those effects on the academic setting of the child and their peers and teachers are explored in the second class. The interaction of the child within the community is the focus of the third class. In the final class, The Trauma-Sensitive Learning Environment, students focus on adapting existing school environments to maximize learning opportunities for affected children.
How to Apply
- Complete the Online Application Form.
- Write and submit an Admissions Essay in a 1 – 2-page Word document answering each of the following questions in meaningful detail:
- Why did you choose Antioch?
- Why did you choose the program you are applying to?
- What are your future plans and how do you connect this program to your plans?
- There are additional requirements for International applicants and applicants without a Bachelor’s degree
- Request transcripts from all colleges and universities you have previously attended. Official transcripts must be sent directly to Antioch University New England, in an unopened sealed envelope. We also accept e-transcripts at [email protected]. Please Note: You may submit unofficial transcripts for initial review of your application, but your application will not be considered complete until official transcripts are received.
Please submit all materials to:
Antioch University New England
40 Avon Street
Keene, NH 03431
All application materials submitted become part of an applicant’s file and cannot be returned.
- Have a bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution with a minimum 2.75 GPA.
- Interview with a faculty member of the department to which you seek entry if selected. This can be in person, by phone, or via Skype.
- Master’s and Certificate Programs do not require the GRE or any other standardized test for admissions. We consider all of your application materials, and evaluate your academic potential in a variety of ways.
A college education is an investment in your future. Let us help you understand the costs and explore the resources available to help make your college education even more affordable. The majority of AUNE students finance their education through some form of financial aid. You may not be sure which federal, state, public and private aid packages – such as loans, scholarships, and grants—are right for you. Our staff is here to help you, so you can focus on what’s most important: beginning your academic program at AUNE.
|Foundations of Education (Experienced Educators) Certificates||Tuition Cost per Credit||Total Program Credits|
|Problem Based Learning / Critical Skills Certificate||$732||15|
|Educating for Sustainability Certificate||$732||12|
|Place-based Education Certificate||$732||12|
|Nature-Based Early Childhood Education Certificate||$732||12|
|Mindfulness for Educators Graduate Certificate||$732||9|
|Integrated STEAM Education Certificate||$732||15|
|Certificate in Dyslexia Studies||$732||17|
|Certificate in Reggio Emilia Approach||$732||18|
|Certificate in Trauma Informed Education||$732||12|
Sharing Knowledge in Bilingual and Transdisciplinary Education
by Hunter Gagnon on June 30, 2021
Making a Zoo For Everyone by Uplifting Voices of Color
by Malia Gaffney on June 30, 2021
Clearing Pathways to Success for Black Boys and Educators of Color
by Antoinette Wiley on June 28, 2021