As our society evolves, sustainability continues to be a significant social, political, and ecological challenge. How do we continue pushing technological boundaries while keeping in mind the beauty of our planet and the footprint we make? Business and sustainability cannot be mutually exclusive, and our adult learners are constantly finding new ways to integrate sustainability into our lives and businesses. Examine the complex issues that our society faces in regards to sustainability and find solutions through practical learning.
This degree is offered by AU Midwest.
Antioch University Midwest values our environment and has a long history of offering programs focused on the social, political, and ecological aspects of sustainability. A concentration in Environmental Sustainability creates a natural pathway for those students who want to move beyond an associate’s degree in environment and agriculture to earn a bachelor’s in this important field.
Students in the Environmental Sustainability program will:
- examine the different concepts of sustainability and the issues affecting them
- explore the decision-making used by individuals and organizations
- analyze sources of system limitation and the characteristics of sustainability
- investigate sustainable business models and opportunities for “green” commerce
The Environmental Sustainability program will challenge students to engage different perspectives and analyze complex issues within a framework of social justice and practical learning. The program explores the rapidly changing values and ideas taking place within ourselves, in our communities, and around the world.
- Experience and Expression
- Modes and Methods of Learning
- Literary Analysis and Argumentation
- Culture, Conflict, and Social Research
- Foundations of Civilization
- Ecology, Technology, and Society
- Thinking in Systems
- Culture and Ecology
- Green Entrepreneurship
- Sustainable Agriculture
- Two Electives
- Senior Project
For course descriptions, please see the current course catalog.
This concentration prepares students for careers in:
- Natural Resource Management and Sustainability
Please check back for Application info
Currently enrolling at Antioch University Online:
BA in Liberal Studies, Individualized Studies
- Understand the goals and concepts of sustainability and become aware of issues affecting sustainability
- Develop a broad understanding of decision-making approaches used by individuals and organizations in sustainable environments
- Recognize the characteristics of sustainable systems and analyze sources of system limitation
- Investigate sustainable business development and how to identify opportunities to develop “green” goods and services.
- Develop knowledge and skills needed to balance natural resource, human and economic factors
There are no upcoming events at this time.