If you’ve gained valuable technical expertise through your current trade, but long for professional advancement, finishing your bachelor’s degree in one of our Applied Studies programs at Antioch University Santa Barbara can help you maximize that experience and reach your career goals. The Bachelor’s Degree in Applied Studies program applies expands upon your practical knowledge by applying your previous technical and vocational training in fields such as design, hospitality, culinary arts, auto mechanics, medical trades, and more toward the completion of an undergraduate degree. By connecting your technical expertise to an undergraduate degree and academic experience, Applied Studies programs at Antioch University Santa Barbara make you a more effective problem-solver with critical thinking and leadership skills.
The Bachelor of Arts in Applied Studies degree at AUSB gives college students with technical training in a distinct area the forum to build upon previously acquired skills by developing a broader contextual understanding of their profession while advancing academically. In this program, you will critically examine and gain a deeper understanding of the principles of your profession, moving toward a more systems-thinking approach.
You will find the courses at Antioch will expand your skills in written and oral communication, while fostering problem-solving and critical thinking skills and your ability to consider social and ethical context of your profession.
Graduates with a degree in Applied Studies can advance their careers or open new doors in a variety of fields, including design, hospitality, the culinary arts, auto mechanics, and more. Students often apply the problem solving and critical-thinking skills they learn in this program to their previous professional experiences in a leadership or supervising role.
The average time to complete an Applied Studies degree is 1-2 years, depending on number of credits transferred into Antioch University Santa Barbara.
Students need 180‐200 quarter units to graduate from Antioch University Santa Barbara’s Bachelor of Arts in Applied Studies Program. You will need to meet the learning goals and complete the curriculum specific to your major, as well as certain undergraduate degree requirements. Applied Studies degree requirements include the following (earned through AUSB enrollment and/or transfer):
- 60 or more upper-division units (almost all of our courses are upper division)
- Foundational courses to establish context and familiarize you with the skills you’ll use as you progress academically
- Eight (8) units of experiential, non-classroom learning such as internships, self-directed independent studies or prior learning, to associate academics with real-life applications
- Six (6) units of interdisciplinary, hybrid seminars focused on topics such as leadership, business communications, cultural contexts, justice and equity, or technology in society
- Nine (9) units directly related to your degree