Through the study and daily application of ancient and current applied philosophical perspectives, our master’s program will help you find and harness your innate wisdom to develop a more compassionate classroom. While you study you’ll find guidance to deepen your own mindfulness practice, develop an understanding of the history of mindfulness-based educational approaches and develop your own applications. Focus on the context in which the core principles of mindfulness and compassion affect the classroom to discover new perspectives on both teaching and learning strategies.
This degree is offered by AU New England.
The mindfulness in education movement is growing rapidly. The field needs teachers who are prepared to take a leadership position by deeply understanding how mindfulness practices work in their own classrooms and schools to advance teaching and learning.>
Teachers who pursue an MEd with a concentration in Mindfulness for Educators study the core principles of mindfulness and compassion. The program strengthens an educator’s innate wisdom through the study and daily application of ancient and current applied philosophical perspectives, and universal and human development models. It has a three-pronged approach:
- formal meditation practice
- study of the field of mindfulness
- application of ideas and approaches to classroom and other educational contexts
The program is rooted in the philosophy of reflective practice and inquiry. Each course is designed to lead teachers deeper into their own classroom experience and help them see the work of teaching and learning with fresh eyes. Antioch University New England (AUNE) has the only graduate program with a focus on mindfulness designed exclusively for educators.
The program schedule offers relevant and engaging coursework designed to accommodate the busy lives of working educators. The cohort approach helps participants remain committed to daily meditation and informal mindfulness practices. The program combines online pedagogy with interactive teaching methodology. It includes small classes, individual attention from faculty, and real-time connection via telephone, on-line conferencing, and webinars.
- 5 semesters (19 months)
- 33 credits
- Fully online and low-residency options available!
Typical course load is one online course and on practicum per term with optional residency or additional online coursework in the summer term. Electives can include AUNE courses in place-based or problem-based learning, nature-based education, sustainability, leadership, and educational technology. You can also incorporate meditation retreat experiences, or external trainings related to teaching mindfulness to children and youth into the MEd program.
- Using Buddhist Frameworks to Reflect on Teaching and Learning
- Human Development and the Inner Landscape of Teachers and Learners
- Awareness of Body, Mind, Heart, and Brain: Pathways to Change in Education
- Compassionate Action in the World
- Mindful Leadership
- Developing Mind *also available as an on-campus summer class
- Philosophy of Education *also available as an on-campus summer class
- Child Study
- Equity and Change
On-campus Summer Courses at Antioch University New England
- Electives can include AUNE courses in place-based or problem-based learning, nature-based schooling, sustainability, leadership, and educational technology. You can also incorporate meditation retreat experiences, or external trainings related to teaching mindfulness to children and youth into the MEd program.
For course descriptions, please see the current course catalog.
For educators who want to be part of the mindfulness in education movement at a leadership level, this program offers a unique curriculum. Here you will find support and guidance to deepen your own mindfulness practice, develop an understanding of the history and contexts of mindfulness-based educational approaches and develop your own projects and applications while you study.
- Students will demonstrate an understanding of secular and Buddhist definitions, frameworks, and practices of mindfulness.
- Students will develop and/or deepen their own mindfulness practice.
- Students will apply frameworks for mindfulness practice and the principles of mindful teaching to their own teaching and learning environments.
- Students will reflect on their experiences with mindfulness practices in the classroom and use the cycle of inquiry to explore and refine the impact of these practices on their teaching and their students’ learning.
- MEd for Experienced Educators, Educating for Sustainability
- MEd for Experienced Educators, Educational Technology Integrator
- MED for Experienced Educators, Integrated STEAM Education
- MEd for Experienced Educators, Library Media Specialist
- MED for Experienced Educators, Nature-Based Early Childhood Education
- MEd for Experienced Educators, Place-Based Education
- MEd for Experienced Educators, Principal Certification
- MEd for Experienced Educators, Problem-Based Learning Using Critical Skills
- MEd for Experienced Educators, Self-Designed Concentration
There are no upcoming events at this time.