The need for mental health professionals is rising at a rapid and unprecedented pace. Antioch University Santa Barbara’s BA in Psychology can help you open the door to a rewarding career by combining theoretical framework and hands-on experience. You’ll learn important client interaction skills as well as vital knowledge on different areas of psychology which can be immediately translated into practice. This degree is designed to give you a wide range of possibilities for both career choices and graduate work.
At AUSB, you’ll join a peer community where you receive personal attention in small class sizes. Measure your success through applied learning and community projects, not one-size-fits-all tests. Apply up to 135 quarter (90 semester) transfer units, and learn about prior learning credits. Become part of a powerful community of engaged students of all backgrounds, and acquire the skills, knowledge, and hands-on experience to meet your goals.
This degree is offered by AU Santa Barbara.
The BA in Psychology is designed to provide you with a foundation in psychological theory and research. This versatile degree gives students a wide range of possibilities for both career choices and graduate work. The curriculum addresses the wide range of sub-disciplines within the psychology field, paying particular attention to diverse communities and practices.
Antioch University graduates will have learned and practiced these critical skills:
- Clinical, developmental, and global psychology
- Diversity and its role in the practice of psychology
- Client skills and client advocacy
- Psychological distress
- Case management
- Referral management
- Applying theory to practice through internships
The average time to complete this degree is 1-2 years, depending on number of credits transferred into AUSB.
Students need 180‐200 quarter units to graduate from Antioch University Santa Barbara’s Bachelor of Arts in Psychology program. Students must complete a minimum of 120 quarter units in general studies (60‐66%) taking courses across several disciplines. Within these 120 units, students must complete the Breadth/General Education (GE) Requirement and the Core Courses.
Six BA Required Core Courses that students must take at AUSB:
- Educational Foundations
- Academic Writing
- Environmental Studies (choice) (environmental)
- Ethics & Leadership (choice) (ethics)
- Cultural (choice) (global)
- minimum of 54 quarter units in the chosen area of Concentration
Student Learning Goals
- Application of critical thinking and creative problem solving
- Demonstration of increased self-awareness through critical reflection
- Articulation and understanding of multiple and diverse perspectives, within a global context
- Analysis of social justice
- Demonstration of effective communication
- Application of abstract knowledge to practical experience
Specific to Psychology Major
- Demonstration of fundamental knowledge and comprehension of the major concepts, theoretical perspectives, historical trends, and empirical findings to discuss how psychological principles apply to behavioral phenomena
- Development of scientific reasoning and problem solving, including effective research methods
- Development of ethically and socially responsible behaviors for professional and personal settings in a landscape that involves increasing diversity
- Demonstrate competence in writing and in oral and interpersonal communication skills
These learning outcomes were derived from the recommendations for an undergraduate Psychology Major by the American Psychological Association (APA).
Roles after graduation may include:
- Case manager
- Rehabilitation specialist
- Psychiatric technician
- Human Resource manager
- Business administration
- Top- or mid-level management
- School Counselor
- Marketing or advertising manager
- Laboratory assistant
- Law enforcement and corrections
- Career Counselor
- Community Organizer
- Library Assistant
- Child Care Worker