Using nature as a method to achieve educational results is a powerful methodology that builds upon the tradition of using the outdoors to inspire young learners.
Positioning nature at the heart of the curriculum stimulates creativity, arouses curiosity, and gives children a deep respect for the outdoors. Nature preschools and forest kindergartens are trending in the United States, and their progressive approach to education has fueled a rise in interest.
Become part of this powerful, environmentally focused movement.
This degree is offered by AU New England.
The Nature-Based Early Childhood Education concentration trains teachers, administrators, and founders of nature preschools and forest kindergartens. The forest kindergarten movement has been thriving in Europe for the last three decades and has recently taken root in the United States. Simultaneously, there has been a growing number of nature preschools in the United States. Both nature preschools and forest kindergartens have a uniquely different approach to curriculum than conventional indoor early childhood programs.
The objective of the program is to make the courses as practical as possible. Therefore, the goal for each course will be to have each student generate a product that is tangibly useful in their work situation. This will include program brochures, policy development, business plans, curriculum documentation materials a la Reggio, grant proposals, and parent newsletters. Program faculty will provide assistance in content and tone so that founders of new programs can be supported in developing materials to launch their programs.
- 19 months, 5 semester, 33-credit degree program
- Low-residency program (primarily online, with 1-2 weeks on campus during the summer)
- 3 semesters of practicum work at your school or workplace
All Students must take the following courses (12 credits)
- Philosophy of Education and Change (can be online or on-campus)
- Developing Mind
- Practicum: Child Study
- Practicum: Equity & Change
- Nature-based Early Childhood Curriculum
- Working with Families and Community
- Business Planning for Nature Preschools and Forest Kindergartens
- Risk Management for Nature-based Early Childhood Education
(5-semester credits; 3 could be internship or practicum)
- Natural History for Early Childhood: Teaching in Winter
- Natural History for Early Childhood
- Leading Inclusion in Nature-based Programs
- Early Childhood Education Pre-K to 3rd
- Movement and Storytelling in the Pre-K Classroom
- Landscape Analysis and Design for Nature Play and Learning
- Childhood and Nature
- Advanced Topics in Nature-based Early Childhood
- Or various other courses relevant to nature-based early childhood education.
(optional, not required, for certificate students)
- School Change Practicum in Nature Preschool or Forest Kindergarten
How to Apply
- Complete the online admission application, including:
- Essay questions, admissions and program-specific
- Resume/curriculum vitae (CV)
- Non-refundable $50 application fee
- Submit official transcripts from all colleges or universities where you earned a degree or certificate.
- Two letters of recommendation are required, from people who are in a position to evaluate your professional or academic work. The person making the recommendation may not be related to you.
- There are additional requirements for International applicants.
- Interview with a faculty member of the department to which you seek entry if selected. This can be in person, by phone, or via Skype.
Official transcripts should be emailed to [email protected] or mailed to:
Office of Admissions
Antioch University New England
40 Avon Street
Keene, New Hampshire 03431-3516
All application materials submitted become part of an applicant’s file and cannot be returned.
A college education is an investment in your future. Let us help you understand the costs and explore the resources available to help make your college education even more affordable. The majority of AUNE students finance their education through some form of financial aid. You may not be sure which federal, state, public and private aid packages – such as loans, scholarships, and grants—are right for you. Our staff is here to help you, so you can focus on what’s most important: beginning your academic program at AUNE.
|Foundations of Education Degree||Tuition Cost per Credit||Total Program Credits|
|MEd for Experienced Educators||$754||33|
Jazmine Casey, MA in Teaching
by Antioch University on August 23, 2022
Promoting Literacy Education as a Key for Social Justice
by Jasper Nighthawk on August 17, 2022
Five Questions With Retired Parole Officer Jeff Imboden
by Georgina Marie Guardado on July 27, 2022