Education Department @ AUNE
Teacher Education Programs
Creative. Engaging. Insightful. Since 1964, Antioch University New England has been a leader in progressive education. We believe in:
- A celebration of childhood by teaching the whole child
- A deep respect for each student’s strengths and needs
- Advocacy for educational equity, social justice, and inclusive education
- Developmentally appropriate teaching and assessment
- Experiential, problem-based, inquiry driven, real world and place-based learning
- Cooperation between teachers, students, parents and communities to create inclusive schools
- A commitment to teacher self-knowledge and reflection
- An integrated curricula that incorporates reading, arts, math, science, social studies, movement, and the natural world
- Experience progressive education yourself in small classes that foster a collaborative learning environment and provide the opportunity for individual attention. Coursework is student-centered, problem-based, experiential and hands-on. Help us make schools a more wondrous place for children.
Become part of a small group of educators committed to learning together from the richness of their experiences. We believe that teachers bring the richness of their life experiences into their classrooms. We encourage students from the widest variety of work and living backgrounds to join us. Diversity within a context of philosophical commitment is our model for a healthy classroom and a healthy graduate level course of study.
Programs in the department are carefully structured to accommodate the needs of the adult learner, understanding that many graduate students must balance their studies with family responsibilities and part-time or full-time work.
Earn a master of education (MEd) and initial teacher licensure in 13 months. Our integrated learning approach to education will help you bring the richness of your life experiences to the art of teaching children. Help students develop the capacity to shape their own lives and communities. Learn more about our Teacher Certification programs:
- MEd with Teacher Certification
- MED with Dual Elementary / Special Education Certification
- MEd with Early Childhood Education Certification
- MEd with Elementary Teacher Certification
Whether you’ve been teaching two years or two decades, the Experienced Educator program will help you move to the next phase of your career. Join us and share in our deep commitment to creating equitable, joyful learning experiences rooted in community, reflective practice and collaboration. Study online during the school year and on campus for two weeks each summer. Learn more about our Experienced Educator program.
- MEd for Experienced Educators
- MEd for Experienced Educators, Educating for Sustainability
- MEd for Experienced Educators, Digital Media Specialist
- MEd for Experienced Educators, Integrated STEAM Education
- MEd for Experienced Educators, Library Media Specialist
- MEd for Experienced Educators, Mindfulness for Educators
- MEd for Experienced Educators, Place-Based Education
- MEd for Experienced Educators, Principal Certification
- MEd for Experienced Educators, Problem-Based Learning Using Critical Skills
- MEd for Experienced Educators, Self-Designed Concentration
Our Waldorf teacher education programs are based on the educational philosophy of Rudolf Steiner. Our internationally renowned faculty are passionate about guiding students to become teachers who educate the whole child—heart, hands, and head. Learn more about our Waldorf programs.
- MEd in Waldorf Education
- MEd in Waldorf Education (Summer Sequence)
- MEd in Waldorf Education (Year Round Program)
- MEd in Waldorf Education with State Certification
- MEd in Waldorf Education, Transdisciplinary Focus on Healing Education