Reference & Instruction Librarian and Academic Technology Assistant
Website Antioch University Los Angeles
The Instruction & Reference Librarian and Academic Technology Assistant will offer library and technology services to the campus community at Antioch University Los Angeles.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide creative and effective Information Literacy instruction to undergraduate and graduate students in assigned classes, workshops, in one-on-one and small group meetings, in person and online
- Interest in learning new ways of teaching and facilitating learning for a plurality of learners
- Collaborate with fellow librarians and faculty to design research assignments and evaluate pedagogy
- Participate in assessment of teaching effectiveness and student learning
- Understand the library collection, paper and digital, and its value and purpose in supporting the university’s teaching and learning goals
- Provide reference assistance
- Advocate for reading culture
- Create library multimedia resources for students and faculty
- Provide copyright and fair use information to students and faculty
- Present information about library and academic technology at student and faculty orientations
- Participate in professional development: workshops, conferences; keep current with literature
- Instruct and assist with academic technology campus-wide
- Other duties and projects as assigned.
- MLS from an ALA-accredited university
- Commitment to a vibrant and inclusive library, as a workplace a center and respite for all AULA community
- Demonstrated ability and commitment to work effectively and professionally with colleagues
Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Experience providing reference services to faculty, staff, and students
- Experience working with students from a range of backgrounds with a wide variance of information-seeking and technological skills
- Ability to instruct students with varying learning styles, using effective teaching techniques and innovative learning environments
- Knowledge and experience designing, conducting, and assessing library workshops, orientations, courses, and programs
- Up-to-date knowledge in the field of information literacy instruction
- Creative approaches to promoting the library
- Experience developing, implementing, and assessing student learning outcomes
- Demonstrated proficiency in designing and developing web-based, multimedia, and print instructional aids
- Working knowledge of emerging technologies critical to the design and delivery of reference and library instruction services
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office applications (Word, Excel, and PowerPoint), learning management systems, online conference applications, such as Zoom, Springshare products (Libguides, etc)
- Knowledge of Copyright and Fair Use
Physical Demands: While performing the duties of this job, the staff member is regularly required to sit, stand, walk, ability to use eye vision, use hands and fingers, talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to reach with hands and arms. The individual must regularly lift and/or carry up to 10 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Requires daily use of computer and other standard office equipment. The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to individuals with disabilities.
Hours of Employment: This is a 100% position and work schedule will be provided.
Compensation and Benefits: Depending on experience. Benefits include medical and dental insurance, paid holidays, sick and vacation leave, prescription drug service, life insurance, and retirement plan. Employees are eligible to apply for tuition benefit after one year of employment.
All new and long-term librarians are encouraged to apply!
Submit cover letter, resume, and (3) references to: firstname.lastname@example.org – Open until Filled
Antioch University LA reserves the right to change the duties of the job description at any time. Antioch University provides equal opportunity for all qualified applicants and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identify, age, disability, veteran status, or any other protected classification.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com