The aim of place-based education is to increase local learning in the natural, built, and cultural environment. Place-based education increases motivation, student achievement, and care for our surroundings. You can transform schools into centers of learning and action that utilize the local community as a context for developing essential skills and understandings. Regardless of where or who you teach, the principles of place-based education can be an integrating theme. Our certificate gives educators the tools to guide students to better understand and positively influence their world. A student’s impact on the world begins with their connection to and participation in the local community.
This certificate is offered by AU New England.
The certificate is specifically designed for educators who already have a master’s degree, are not quite ready for a full degree, or desire an engaging, place-based professional learning experience. Through a mix of classroom, field-based, and online experiences, you have a chance to collaborate with educators from around the country and the globe who are making place-based education the focal point of their teaching and professional practice. Finish the certificate in three or four semesters, 12-15 months.
This certificate centers on using the local community and environment as starting points to integrate language arts, mathematics, social studies, science, art, music, and technology. Required courses focus on the essentials of place-based education: implementation in contemporary schools, designing nature explorations with children, developing partnerships with local organizations, and investigating place-based social justice topics. The courses will help you inspire students to develop strong ties to their community, increase appreciation for the natural world, and participate as active, contributing citizens.
Make place an integrating context inside and outside of your classroom. Whether you teach 2nd grade or high school science, work in a public or independent school, this program guides you to develop the skills and understanding to be a place-based teacher and leader.
- EDC 6555 Place-based Teaching & Learning (3)
- EDT 5360 Childhood and Nature (3)
- EDP 6160 Real-World Sustainability (3)
3 Elective Credits
(Choose from this list or seek advisor approval)
- EDT 5500 Critical Skills Classroom Immersion (3)
- EDT 5450 Philosophy of Education and Change (3)
- EDR 6940 Practicum: Curriculum (3)
- EDR 6200 Practicum: Equity & Change (3)
For course descriptions, please see the current course catalog.
Graduates of the Place-based Education concentration have the capacity to:
- Understand citizenship and meaningful student participation in communities.
- Incorporate place-based themes into teaching and classroom practice.
- Develop place-based integrated curricula designed to increase student achievement.
- Help develop place-based teaching and learning in their schools.
- Help others understand place-based learning across a variety of contexts.
Admissions / Cost / Aid
- Complete the online admissions application, including:
- Essay questions, admissions, and program-specific
- Resume/curriculum vitae (CV)
- Non-refundable $50 application fee
- Submit official transcripts from all colleges or universities where you earned a degree or certificate.
- email transcripts to [email protected], or
- mail to:
Office of Admissions
Antioch University New England
40 Avon Street
Keene NH 04341-3516
- Two letters of recommendation are required, from people who are in a position to evaluate your professional or academic work. The person making the recommendation may not be related to you.
- There are additional requirements for International applicants and applicants without a Bachelor’s degree
- Interview with a faculty member of the department to which you seek entry if selected. This can be in person, by phone, or via Skype.
- Master’s and Certificate Programs do not require the GRE or any other standardized test for admissions. We consider all of your application materials and evaluate your academic potential in a variety of ways.
All application materials submitted become part of an applicant’s file and cannot be returned.
|Foundations of Education (Experienced Educators) Certificates||Tuition Cost per Credit||Total Program Credits|
|Problem Based Learning / Critical Skills Certificate||$754||15|
|Educating for Sustainability Certificate||$754||12|
|Place-based Education Certificate||$754||12|
|Nature-Based Early Childhood Education Certificate||$754||12|
|Mindfulness for Educators Graduate Certificate||$754||9|
|Integrated STEAM Education Certificate||$754||15|
|Certificate in Dyslexia Studies||$754||17|
|Certificate in Reggio Emilia Approach||$754||18|
|Certificate in Trauma Informed Education||$754||12|
EdD Student is Shifting Views in Education—and Centering Black Girls
by Sierra-Nicole E. DeBinion on April 27, 2022
Activist Works at Intersection of Gender Diversity and Autism
by Jazmine Cooper on April 7, 2022
Brian Floca Wins 2022 Horace Mann Upstanders Book Award For “Keeping The City Going”
by Karen Hamilton on March 24, 2022